Monday, July 11, 2011

Kenya: July 11

Yesterday was pretty funny. As a youth group in Kenya that is somewhat organized, some other groups have heard about us and have asked that while I am here, I can go and speak to them, and see what they are involved with, and give them some advice.

Yesterday, I was asked to advise on the feasibility of a fish project. That was fun. I was taken to a village two hours from here, met some of the youths involved, and then walked through a muddy field to a "pond" which was the size of a swimming pool that someone would have in their backyard. I was told that there were approximately 300 tilapia in this pond, and was then told about how they harvest it, what they are able to sell the fish for, and how they feed the fish. They then turned to me and asked me for advice on how to make the farm more productive, and asked what else they should do to improve the project. I usually don't find myself without words....but I sort of just stared at them and said..."the project is still young, you'll figure something out." They all nodded in agreement, and that comment seemed to bide some time, until Kepha stepped in and offered his two cents, which was much appreciated and a good way for me to take a back seat.

It always makes me laugh when I am asked some questions here that I would of course never be asked in any other setting. There is this perception that white people (mzungus) know just about everything there is to know, and so it takes some explanation that my knowledge and experience is of course very limited. Also, since the villages in Kenya are rural and all agricultural, many of the youths here believe that Canada, and specifically Toronto, are exactly the same. I often get asked what is our cash crop in Toronto, how many cows I own, and whether I have executed a variety of animals. Its difficult to explain the truth, so sometimes, depending on my mood, I just go along with it and tell them that instead of a pool in my backyard we grow maize, and instead of 4 cars in the driveway, we have cows that regularly wander around the neighbourhood. Helps prevent the "lost in translation" look I get from so many.

Yesterday I showed Kepha a picture of downtown Toronto that I had taken from my office. Its a view of tall buildings, City Hall, etc. I told him that this is what Toronto looked like and that I worked on the 60th floor of a building. He looked at the picture in silence, looked up at me, and slowly said "Mr Adam....this is what I imagine heaven must look like." Its all about perspective, and its always important to keep that in mind before I burst out laughing. Looking at the rolling green countryside here, the orange and red sunsets, and the bright colours everywhere, I told him that I imagine that this here is what heaven must look like, and he could not understand why I said that.

Last night for dinner we went to a local family, the parents of one of the youths with whom we work. They had me into their house, and as is the practice here whenever I visit anywhere, I go around shaking the hand and meeting everyone present, and then we sit, and each person takes turns with opening remarks and comments. The children even introduce themselves to their parents, which I always find weird, and then talk about what they do, and welcome me in.

In this particular house, everyone was laughing and we were having a really nice time together. Then they took out the dinner. It was ugali (which is like this maize meal food that we have at every meal), and some vegetables, and they told me they had cooked a chicken precisely because of my visit. Was very nice, and they made me a plate of food. Almost as soon as I put my hands into the meal (often no cutlery here), a chicken walked into the room and came up next to me. Just stood there. Watching me, as if it was daring me to eat its brother. I sort of looked at the chicken next to me, then looked at the chicken leg in front of me....thought about it for a second....then pushed it to the side and ate the rest of the meal. I then pulled apart the piece of chicken to make it look like I ate something, and thanked them for the meal.

The last few days have been fantastic and have consisted of catching up on what has been happening here since my last visit, getting to know a few more areas, and meeting up with new friends I have not seen in a while.

This past Friday we visited a nearby high school for boys where I spoke to approximately 200 students. One of the projects that we are involved with is school visits and setting up peace clubs in various schools so that students can go on and become ambassadors in their own and each others' communities. Schools are good to use because they are made up of students from a variety of communities, and so they have a variety of experiences and abilities in terms of reaching out to others. We spoke for about half an hour to the group of students, and then 20 of them suddenly came out dressed as Masai warriors, and did two Masai dances and songs, which were really great to watch.

That was the only thing we did on Friday, and then Friday night I was able to do a little Shabbat dinner with my friends in our office. I taught them about the different blessings over the food and candles, and performed them with them responding "amen" every time I paused to take a breath. Had a really nice night, and then as always, I went to my room at about 8pm.

Here, when it gets dark there really isn't much to do. The place where I am staying is a 15 minute walk down a dark road from the office where we spend most of our days, and so when its dark its best to just get home when I can. I usually sit and read for a few hours, though lately I've discovered a few movies I have stored on my ipod, and watching parts of those has made me pass the night hours. I usually go to sleep around 2am at home, so I can't quite get used to turning in 6 hours before that like most people do here.

On the weekend I got to visit the village of Kiptere, where I stayed on my two prior visits to Kenya. I got to see some old friends there and see what they are up to. The highlight of my trip there was to visit an older man in the village named Geoffrey. Geoffrey is a retired teacher who suffers from cerebral palsy. Despite this handicap however, and his inability to move very much, he is brilliant, and quick, and its always so nice to speak to him. I brought two of my friends with on Saturday to meet with him, and we just sat for 2 hours laughing and speaking to him about things like being a good parent, what is needed for the youths in Kenya today, and a variety of other random but really interesting topics. The other youths, who were now meeting him for this first time, just sat in awe listening to him, and laughing at his jokes. When we left, Kepha told me how impressed he was with Geoffrey and how he wished that Geoffrey was his father.

Later in the day we traveled to Kericho which is a nearby town, so that we could meet one of Kepha's brothers, get some lunch, and try find some souvenirs. I also met up with my friend Jess, who since I was last here has spent two years in teachers college. She looked great and was THRILLED to see me, which was really nice. She burst into tears when she first saw me, and spent the rest of our hour together worrying that I was not eating enough, things like that. She's very sweet and thoughtful, and calls all the time to make sure things are ok. She'll make a great teacher, and it was really nice to see her and all these others again.

Today we are heading to a college to try start a peace club there, and then tomorrow will be meeting with some families who are HIV/AIDS positive, and who are receiving the eggs that we have from our chicken project. My friend Courtney arrives on Wednesday along with another volunteer from Austria named Joe who is coming to check out some of the stuff we're doing here.
Do not have all that much time left here, but am trying to make the most of it. As always however, the people remain phenomenally hospitable, and as the resident mzungu, I am constantly followed by a group of people just sort of looking at me. The main mode of transportation around the village is by motorbike, and so whenever I am riding on the back of one, I drive past groups of children and others who shout 'MZUNGU!!" and then try chase after me. Still takes some getting used to, and one of the hardest things is the fact that everyone sees you and asks you for money. Its difficult, and for so many of them you really want to help. People have asked me for assistance for their church, for medication for certain illnesses, for mosquito nets, etc. and its difficult to say no to these people. This is however the world, and we're trying to help in small ways however we can, but obviously can't help everyone just yet.

Anyway, its time for lunch. Rice and avocado as usual. Not going to lie....the food here I can do without. I find myself craving sushi and McDonalds, which I don't even really eat at home (McDonalds that is), but its not ugali, which is all that matters. Otherwise, no complaints and looking forward to the arrival of Courtney!

No comments:

Post a Comment